Getting Your Documents in Order

These Items Must Be Completed Before Departing From Your Home Country. Security Cooperation Officer (SCO'S), please assist as needed

OBTAIN a PASSPORT marked OFFICIAL or SERVICE (not a tourist passport):
If you already have a valid passport marked OFFICIAL, make sure it will not expire before the end of the scheduled training. NATO travel orders are not sufficient.

A NATO, A/1 or A/2 VISA is normally issued:
Officers' passports must have an A1/A2 Visa for MULTIPLE ENTRY valid until the end of scheduled training. Make sure your documents are stamped with your admission date by a Customs Border Patrol officer when you arrive at your first port-of-entry in the United States. You may be issued a white card, called an I-94, by the customs people. Most ports scan your details into the electronic system and your I-94 can then be retrieved electronically once you get to Carlisle. The I-94 is required by for some operations such as obtaining a US driver's license. Family Members may receive a B/1 or B/2 Visa. This may create a problem later in the length of time that family members may stay in the U.S. To change a visa while in the U.S. is difficult and will likely not be able to happen. Please try to obtain an A/1 or A/2 Visa for all family members.

INSPECT YOUR ITO (Invitational Travel Orders) for accuracy:
The Invitational Travel Orders (ITO) that you receive from the MAAG, mission, or military attachè should contain your complete name. A minimum of 10 copies per Fellow is required. Pay particular attention to ensure that the ITO is complete. Ensure that all portions of the ITO are properly completed prior to departing. CHECK TO ENSURE ALL OF YOUR AUTHORIZED DEPENDENTS ARE LISTED ON YOUR ITO. Ensure you understand every block of the ITO and the information contained therein.

Biographical Information:
Bring an official version of your Officer Record Brief / Personnel Record that reflects the following types of information:

  • Civilian Education
  • Military Education/Training (to include any other foreign and US schools/training or education)
  • Special Qualification Certification (e.g., Airborne/Parachute, Desert, Artic, Special Forces, Ranger, Jungle, Mountain, Aviation)
  • Listing of Military Duty Assignments that include dates, position and organization
  • List of any participation of Battle Campaigns, Peacekeeping, or conflicts to include name, dates, and location
  • Instructor Experience
  • Joint Staff Experience
  • Other Languages (Speak/Write/Read Levels)
  • Decorations and Awards
  • Membership in Professional Societies (e.g., legal, engineering, etc.)
  • Published Writings (Provide title, date and where published)
  • Be prepared to list any dietary restrictions (food or drink)
  • Sports participation and/or hobbies


You should arrive with the financial resources to pay for the following:

Upon arrival to this course, an IMS must have a minimum of 6,500.00 to pay for first months rent, deposit, utilities and related living expenses.

Automobile: You will need an additional 5,000.00, at minimum, to cover the acquisition of automobile and insurance. Public transportation is not available in the great area of Army War College.

Medical Insurance for your dependents: If IMS are considering bringing their family, they need to purchase a health insurance, therefore, that requires additional funding. If required, you must have proof of qualifying medical insurance and it must be approved, electronically, through the SANweb before your family can be added to your ITO and authorized for travel.

Assorted incidentals. Some properties require furniture rental and your first month's electrical bill.

IMS reporting with no funds for these expenses will find it exceptionally difficult to get settled and will likely distract and take away their ability to concentrate on the graduate level education they will receive during this orientation period and the actual resident course.

Other cost you may incur:

  • Personal research materials or study guides.
  • Personal travel expenses and Orientation travel with family members.
  • Alumni Membership, $30 a year, $70 for three years, or purchase a lifetime membership for $200.
  • Joint Ball tickets, held in May, are about 150.00 per couple.
  • The NYC National Staff Ride, spouses may accompany for roughly 100.00. (This covers the cost of the bus ride. Hotel room costs are covered.)
  • REMEMBER - All cost directly relating to family members are the responsibility of the IMS and at no cost to the US Government

Official Travel: IMS will be responsible for all meals and incidentals and will be reimbursed a portion of these expenses after travel is complete. At some locations, meals and incidentals for official travel can represent significant costs.

IMPORTANT NOTE:It is also strongly recommended you have an international credit card upon your arrival in the U.S.


There is no on-post housing offered to International Officers at Carlisle Barracks. The point of contact for housing is the Carlisle Barracks Housing Office, (717) 245-4959, located at Shughart Hall, 460 Sumner Road.

To identify available housing: access the Automated Housing Referral Network at or (set up your own account). Please go to first, then search for "Carlisle" to find available homes to rent.

All landlords require that you sign a lease with substantial penalty if you break the lease prematurely. All leases should be reviewed by the CBks Housing Office or Judge Advocate General prior to signing. Consider several things prior to signing a lease; e.g., the rental prices, the cost of utilities, (some have limits and you must understand what happens if you exceed those limits) proximity to CBks, public schools, and shopping centers, and the quality of the neighborhood. Confirm with the landlord which utility company serves the property. These services might include: Electric, Water/Sewer, Natural Gas or Propane, Trash Pick-Up, Cable/Satellite TV, Telephone and Internet Access. Security deposits are required and normally are equal to one month's rent. The security deposit is retained by the landlord and returned to you upon satisfactory completion of his or her lease and upon leaving the property in a clean, undamaged condition (except for "usual" wear and tear). The lease is a legal instrument between you and your landlord. Your sponsor may assist you with review and understanding of the lease but is NOT authorized to sign a lease on your behalf.

If you attend under the IMET case you WILL be required to provide a copy of your lease agreement to the Administrate Officer.

It is in your best interest to have a signed FOREIGN MILITARY ADDENDUM for any contractual agreement you enter into. Please see attached Document.FOREIGN MILITARY LEASE ADDENDUM

You may be asked to provide a copy of your lease agreement to Emilio Montañez.


Civilian clothing is worn extensively both on and off duty. You will need complete summer and winter service uniforms, including a heavy overcoat and a raincoat. There are a few occasions when you will need your Class A or dress uniform.

The U.S. Army War College (USAWC) Chief of Staff, and/or Dean of the School of Strategic Land power, is responsible for designating the proper dress for academic activities on the USAWC Weekly Schedule.

The academic schedule will list the uniform of the day as follows:

Combat and Functional - Army Combat Uniform(ACU) or comparable attire for other services (standard for every Friday of the Academic Year unless otherwise directed; will also be directed on any day there is extreme inclement weather of any type)

Carlisle Casual - slacks, sport shirt and/or sweater (a Class B uniform is also acceptable) Woman Attire: skirt/split skirt or slacks with top or casual dress

Carlisle Standard - Men attires: suit or sport jacket with dress slacks, collared dress shirt and tie (a Class B uniform is also acceptable) Woman attire : Skirt/ Split skirt or slacks w/ blouse or casual dress, suit or jacket w/ coordination skirt, slacks, dress.

Uniform Required: Army Service Uniform (Class B) - The primary duty uniform. Which consist of open collar shirt or button collar w/ tie- with rank insignia, name plate, ribbon band, awards. Special academic briefings and most Field Study Program trips will be Class B.

Special Event - Army Service Uniform (Class A) - Which consist of coat, blouse, trousers, skirt, shirt, tie, with appropriate rank insignia, ribbon bar, nameplate, badges, and or authorized awards. A several events during the year require you to wear Mess Dress Uniform.

There are a few occasions when you need your CLASS A Service Uniform. The Joint Ball is formal and many will wear their MESS DRESS formal uniform.


You will be given a technology assessment upon arrival for the purpose of:

Assessing your level of computer knowledge and helping you prepare for the residency program at the U.S. Army War College and Providing data to refine the Automation for Executive Management Program (AEMP) to meet your needs by using the information from all International Fellows in scheduling computer classes and identifying resource requirements.

The U.S. Army War College (USAWC) has Personal Computers (PC) available for student use. These computers are located in the seminar rooms, study rooms, USAWC library and Computer Education Center. The standard software loaded on these machines is Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 13 (Word 13, PowerPoint 13), Outlook 13 and Internet Explorer.

Although basic computer training will be available in July and computer-based tutorials for additional computer proficiency are available throughout the academic year, you are strongly encouraged to obtain training opportunities on the above software packages before arriving.

You will be issued a new laptop soon after your arrival to facilitate your coursework. This PC will have the same Microsoft software that is used at the Army War College and can be used by you at your Carlisle home to complete your writing and presentation requirements. You will also be able to use the laptop to connect to the War College to access e-mail and the Internet.

International Military Students will be required to return some of the course materials and equipment (i.e. books and laptop), before departing from the USAWC. For the most part the IF will keep the laptop Only by exception that it will be turned in.


Managing Medical Needs in Carlisle

Care in Carlisle, PA: IMS and all authorized dependents can be seen at Dunham U.S. Army Health Clinic, Carlisle Barracks' military treatment clinic. There is no military hospital near Carlisle Barracks. If you require advanced, emergency or after-hours medical treatment you will be referred to a civilian provider.

Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA): RHCAs do not cover medical care from civilian providers or at civilian hospitals. They also do not cover vision or dental coverage for dependents. Fellows will be required to purchase supplemental medical insurance with a medical maximum of at least $400,000 per dependent to cover occurrences where military medical care is not available.

NATO Status of Forces Agreements (SOFAs) and Partnerships for Peace (PfP) Agreements: Outpatient care (medical and emergency dental) in DoD MTF is at no charge for IMS and authorized dependents (dental treatments is available for IMS only and not for dependents.) Healthcare insurance is required for IMS and/or authorized dependents for outpatient care if not covered by the program or case or if payment is not guaranteed in writing by the foreign government.

You, the IMS, are responsible for all medical costs for dependents not covered by your case or insurance policy.

MEDICAL INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS: Medical Insurance must cover all non-elective medical conditions, be in effect for the duration of stay in the U.S. and must meet the DSCA requirements. The lack of health care coverage for the IMS or dependents at any time or for any reason during their stay in the U.S. is grounds for immediate removal from the USAWC and return to home country.

PLEASE NOTE: As per regulations, the IMS and their dependents while under sponsorship of security assistance or security cooperation education/training programs are NOT authorized to participate in U.S. Federal or State medical/dental or other community assisted aid programs nor will they be used as a means of health care coverage. Failure to comply will result in immediate disenrollment from the USAWC and return to home country. If you are unsure, please contact a member of the International Fellows Program office.

ALWAYS, READ YOUR POLICY CAREFULLY to understand your benefits, covered expenses and civilian care providers who are listed on your insurance company's website as in-network providers.


QUESTIONS: All locations can contact Svetlana Lavrentyeva at SATFA P4,, 757-501-5022 with any questions or issues related to IMS or authorized dependent health coverage. For questions specific to the Carlisle area, please contact Kevin Bremer, IFP Deputy Director, Chief ISMO, at (717) 245-3373 or at


Enrolling Your Children in the Local Public Schools

The public school your child attends will be determined by the location of your home, no exceptions. Most of the International Students attend the Carlisle or Cumberland Valley school districts. No tuition is required for children attending public schools in the school district in which they reside.

Registration for Carlisle School District and Cumberland Valley School District will be held on site at the high school building. Registration for South Middleton School District and other schools will be arranged on this same day for you by appointment and will also be held at the school. You will need:

Translate records for your family members into the English: Documents for all members of the family who will reside in the United States (U.S.) should be translated into English. The Pennsylvania School System WILL NOT recognize records that are not in ENGLISH.

  • Record of Immunization: MUST BE IN ENGLISH
  • Passports for parents and school aged children
  • Proof of Residency: a lease agreement with name and address
  • Transcripts, (lists of completed classes,) and/or report card(s): ALSO IN ENGLISH

More about the local public schools: (You will be given instructions for online enrollment prior to the onsite registration date.)

For more information about the local parochial elementary school (Pre K through 8th Grade)

Public School Eligibility: Kindergarten is available in all public schools in the Carlisle area. Children must have reached their 5th Birthday by 31 August of the school year to be eligible to attend Kindergarten. Those younger may attend a preschool at a small cost. A child must be 6 years of age by 31 August to attend 1st Grade. Children age 18, (or older,) will be evaluated for enrollment only if they do not have a high school diploma.

Diploma Eligibility: All 12th grade students attending a U.S. public or private high school MUST meet that school district's graduation requirements in order to earn a diploma. Children of International Fellows assigned to the Army War College MAY earn a certificate of attendance if graduation requirements are not or cannot be met. In these cases, the student will not receive a diploma. Prior to the start of school, official transcripts for grades 9 through 11, translated into English, MUST be provided to the U.S. public or private high school in order to determine diploma or certificate of attendance track. These transcripts are reviewed by a high school counselor to determine if the student is able to meet the requirements for a diploma or not.

All high school students, grades 9 to 12, receive transcripts upon completion of the school year. The transcripts provided will list courses and grades the student completed while attending that school. Additional information from other school transcripts will NOT be added to the U.S. transcript and course titles on any transcript cannot be changed. Documentation explaining the courses offered, grading scale etc. will be provided with the transcripts. Additional coordination is needed if the international student is in need of an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma or course work. Only one public and one private school in the local area of Carlisle Barracks offers the IB program. Families MUST live in the area assigned of that public school in order to attend. The private school is tuition based.

Pennsylvania State Immunization Requirements


Other Things to Consider:


Get an International Driver's Permit : Bring your Country Driver's License. An International Driver's Permit is nothing more than an English translation of the information contained on your official driver's license and MUST BE OBTAINED BEFORE COMING to the United States. If you have both, you may begin driving immediately anywhere in the U.S. The international driving permit normally expires in one year from the date of issue. If you will attend an English language course in Texas, or attend the USAWC IF Academic Preparation Course, you will be in the U.S. longer than one year - it is highly recommended that the IMS obtain a Texas or a Pennsylvania driver's license. Which will remain valid for your time here with us, typically expiring the month you graduate.

Pennsylvania Drivers Manual

SPECIAL NOTE: International Driver's License Scams

Individuals or companies not authorized to issue International Driving Permits often sell fakes on websites, through unsolicited mail, and in person for prices ranging from $60-$400. International Driver's License, these are worthless and if caught trying to use one in the U.S., you could face legal problems to include fines, arrest, imprisonment, and court appearances. Some of these marketers of International Driver's Licenses falsely claim:

  • To authorize people to drive legally in the U.S. even if they do not possess a state issued licenses.
  • Can be issued if their state issued products have been suspended or revoked.
  • Can be used as a legal form of photo I.D. in the U.S.

Gift Giving: You may wish to bring some small native gifts to exchange with seminar members, sponsors, and classmates.

QUESTIONS or ISSUES: These pages, links and information are provided to assist you in your integration and attendance at the USAWC. If you need information or would like to make a comment, please contact the International Fellows Office via:

TELEPHONE: (717) 245-4830 / FAX: (717) 245-4617


Point of contact for this document is Mr. Emilio Montañez, DSN 242-3371, or commercial phone 717 245-3371. Fax is 717 245-4617 and the mailing address is 122 Forbes Avenue, Carlisle, PA 17013-5239. Email address is:

Back to top